Wylfa Newydd – a nuclear power station on Anglesey. Section 48, Planning Act 2008 – Regulation 4 Infastructure Planning
(Applications: prescribed forms and procedure), Regulations 2009. Proposed application for development consent for the Wylfa Newydd Project
Please send any comments in response to this notice by 13 February 2018.
1. Notice is hereby given that Horizon Nuclear Power Wylfa Limited (the “Applicant”) of Sunrise House 1420 Charlton Court, Gloucester Business Park, Gloucester, GL3 4AE proposes to apply to the Secretary of State under s37 of the Planning Act 2008 for an order granting development consent (“DCO”) for the construction, operation and maintenance of a new nuclear power station and other development, at Wylfa, Anglesey (“Wylfa Newydd Project”).
2. The Applicant is part of the Horizon Nuclear Power Limited group of companies and is wholly owned by Hitachi, Limited, the headquarters of which is in Tokyo, Japan.
3. The application for the Wylfa Newydd Project is anticipated to be submitted in the first half of 2018.
4. The Wylfa Newydd Project is a Nationally Significant Infrastructure Project for the purposes of the Planning Act 2008 and requires development consent under that Act. Horizon proposes to apply for a DCO for the Wylfa Newydd Project which would include the following principal elements:
• Power Station: the proposed new nuclear power station, including two UK Advanced Boiling Water Reactors (UK ABWRs) to be supplied by Hitachi-GE Nuclear Energy Ltd., supporting facilities, buildings, plant and structures, and radioactive waste and spent fuel storage buildings;
• Other on-site development: including landscape works and planting, drainage, surface water management systems, public access works including temporary and permanent closures and diversions of public rights of way, new Power Station Access Road and internal site roads, car parking, construction compounds and temporary parking areas, laydown areas, working areas and temporary works and structures, temporary construction viewing area, diversion of utilities, perimeter and construction fencing;
• Marine Works comprising:
– Permanent Marine Works: the Cooling Water System, Cooling Water System intake and outfall, Marine Off-Loading Facility (MOLF), breakwater structures, shore protection works, surface water drainage outfalls, fish recovery and return system, fish deterrent system, navigation aids and dredging;
– Temporary Marine Works: temporary cofferdams, a temporary access ramp, navigation aids, temporary outfalls and a temporary barge berth;
• Off-site Power Station Facilities: comprising the Alternative Emergency Control Centre (AECC), Environmental Survey Laboratory (ESL) and a Mobile Emergency Equipment Garage (MEEG);
• Associated Development: the Site Campus; temporary Park and Ride facility at Dalar Hir for construction workers (Park and Ride); temporary Logistics Centre at Parc Cybi (Logistics Centre); and A5025 Off-line Highway Improvements.
5. Horizon has submitted applications for planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 for the following which support, but which will not form part of, the DCO application:
(a) Site Preparation and Clearance works; and
(b) Online highways improvements on the A5025.
6. Horizon also intends to bring forward applications for planning permission under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 for works which support, but which will not form part of, the DCO application. These include applications for:
(a) A visitor and media reception centre
(b) Other related and enabling works as needed to support delivery of the Project
7. The proposed DCO will also seek various other powers including provisions permitting the compulsory acquisition of interests and rights in land, the temporary use of land, interference with rights and the closure or diversion of streets and other public rights of way including the permanent closure of Cemlyn Road.
8. The proposed development is “EIA development” for the purposes of the Infrastructure Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2009. An environmental impact assessment is being carried out and an environmental statement will be submitted with the proposed application. The environmental statement will provide a detailed description of the Project and its likely significant environmental effects.
9. In accordance with Regulation 10 of the Infrastructure Planning (Environmental Impact Assessment) Regulations 2009 the Applicant has previously made Preliminary Environmental Information (PEI) available together with a non-technical summary of that information (as part of its Stage One, Stage Two and Stage Three pre-application consultations). This PEI is supplemented by the updated environmental information presented in the documents associated with the Consultation on Additional Land.
10. The existing Statement of Community Consultation (“SOCC”) explains how this Consultation on Additional Land will be undertaken in respect of the Wylfa Newydd Project.
11. The documents which support this Consultation on Additional Land comprise:
(a) A Consultation Overview Document (available in English and Welsh)
(b) A Main Consultation Document
12. Reference copies of these documents showing the nature and location of the Wylfa Newydd Project and the additional land requirements are available for viewing free of charge at the library locations listed in this notice. Copying facilities where available at these libraries cost 15p (A4) and 30p (A3) in Anglesey, 20p (A4) and £1 (A3) in Gwynedd, and 60p (A4) and £1 (A3) in Conwy.
13. Copies of Consultation on Additional Land documents and previous consultation documents are available to view and to download from www.horizonnuclearpower.com/consultation and will also be made available on request on a digital storage device at no charge. Printed copies of all Consultation on Additional Land documents and plans are available upon reasonable request.
14. As part of our community consultation, events are taking place between 16 January and 13 February 2018 at: Amlwch, Bangor, Cemaes, Conwy, Llanfachraeth, Llangefni and Valley. These events are being widely advertised and further details are available from our website (details below).
15. You will be able to submit comments electronically or by post during the 28 day consultation period by:
(a) Emailing us at email@example.com
(b) Writing to us at our freepost address FREEPOST WYLFA NEWYDD
16. Your comments should arrive with us no later than 13 February 2018. Please make sure that any response indicates who is making the response and includes an address and post code to which any correspondence relating to it may be sent.
17. Personal information that is supplied to Horizon in response to this Consultation on Additional Land will be processed in strict accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998.
Libraries in Anglesey
Lôn Parys, Amlwch LL68 9EA
T: 01407 830145
Tues: 9:30am-12:30pm, 2pm-5pm
David Hughes Community Centre, Beaumaris LL58 8AL
T: 01248 810659
Fri: 10am-1pm, 2pm-5pm
Bangor Road, Benllech LL74 8QJ
T: 01248 852348
Wed: 10am-12pm, 2pm-4pm
Glascoed Road, Cemaes LL67 0HN
T: 01407 711025
Newry Fields, Holyhead LL65 1LA
T: 01407 762917
Lôn y Felin, Llangefni
T: 01248 752095
Menai Bridge Library
Wood Street, Menai Bridge
T: 01248 712706
Wed: 9:30am- 12:30pm
Y Ganolfan, Moelfre LL72 8HA
T: 01248 410331
Prichard Jones Institute, Newborough LL61 6SY
T: 01248 440770
High Street, Rhosneigr LL64 5UX
T: 01407 811293
Libraries in Conwy and Gwynedd
Market Street, Abergele LL22 7BP
T: 01492 577505
Gwynedd Road, Bangor LL57 1DT
T: 01248 353479
Coetmor Road, Bethesda LL57 3DP
T: 01248 600737
Fri: 10am-12pm; 2pm-6pm
Blaenau Ffestiniog Library
Canolfan Maenofferen, Blaenau Ffestiniog LL41 3DL
T: 01766 830415
Mon: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6pm
Wed: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6:30pm
Fri: 10am-1pm; 2pm-6pm
Pavilion Hill, Caernarfon LL55 1AS
T: 01286 679463 / 679465
Colwyn Bay Library
Woodland Road West, Colwyn Bay LL29 7DH
T: 01492 577510
Civic Hall, Conwy LL32 8AY
T: 01492 576089
Sat: 9:30am -12:30pm
Mostyn Street, Llandudno LL30 2RP
T: 01492 574010
Plas yn Dre, Station Road, Llanrwst LL26 0DF
T: 01492 577545
Rhôdfa’r Môr, Nefyn LL53 6EB
T: 01758 720873
Dyffryn Nantlle Technology Centre, Heol y Dŵr, Penygroes LL54 6LR
T: 01286 880427
Mon: 1pm- 5pm
Wed: 1pm- 5pm
Chapel Street, Porthmadog
T: 01766 514091
Mon: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Tues: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Wed: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Fri: 10am-12:30pm; 2pm-6pm
Isle of Anglesey County
Anglesey Business Centre
Bryn Cefni Business Park
Castle Street, Caernarfon
Conwy County Borough Council
You can contact Horizon at any time.
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
By phone: 0800 954 9516
Freepost address: FREEPOST WYLFA NEWYDD
Read more public notices here.