The weekly title Fishing News – the voice of commercial fishing in the UK and Ireland since 1913 – is looking to recruit an editorial assistant, to work up to 20 hours per week on a flexible basis, working from home.
The Fishing News readership is very diverse, ranging from owners of small inshore boats to owners of large pelagic trawlers, politicians, regulators and environmental NGOs. The stories we run reflect this diverse readership, and vary from interviews with ministers to features on new vessels, stories about unusual catches and ground-breaking fisheries science. Our diverse range of contributors, who come from very different backgrounds, adds to this mix.
With an increasing amount of copy in each issue, reflecting this commitment to growing the title, we are now looking to expand our team, and need an editorial assistant to help us with producing the paper each week.
- Researching and writing original news stories and features
- Sourcing pictures and obtaining additional information and quotes for stories
- Sub-editing contributed news stories and features
- Proof-reading completed pages
- Maintaining the Fishing News picture library
- Knowledge and enthusiasm about UK and Irish commercial fishing, or a real commitment to gaining expertise in this complicated field
- Experience of writing about fishing, boats, machinery and/or technology
- Meticulous sub-editing and proof-reading skills
- Ability to work reliably under pressure, to tight deadlines
The hours could be flexible, but would need to be agreed to suit evolving production schedules. Currently, the hours would need to be worked between 9am on a Monday and 4pm on a Thursday.
The position would be based around working from home, in close contact with the managing editor and editor.
A competitive rate of pay will be offered to the right candidate.
If you are interested in this position, and would like to know more about the title or this role, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
To apply for this position, please send a covering letter and CV to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 6 December, 2021.